12 Really Useful Moving Tips
Moving is considered one of life's super stressors, but you can make it a little easier by incorporating the following 12 moving tips...
1. Plan out new rooms while you are packing up your old ones. If you love how your book cases look, take a picture so that they can easily be re-created. (This is also a good idea to re-create complicated computer or TV hook ups) Pack items per room to save time unpacking.
2. Number each box and keep a ledger of items in each box. This is great for locating things later, and you can keep the list and add to it for insurance purposes in case of any disaster.
3. Purge while packing, separating items into piles for donation/sale and trash.
4. Start packing a month ahead, beginning with rarely used items like a waffle iron or seasonal clothes. Remember to utilize suitcases for linens and clothes as well!
5. Clean drapes, slip covers bed skirts and area rugs before you move. They will come back from the cleaners wrapped and ready to move.
6. Place small parts of items that need to be dis-assembled into re-sealable bags and tape them to the larger parts so they can be easily found.
7. Start assembling important papers that you will want to keep with you, such as birth certificates, passports, etc. You will also want to take valuables with you such as jewelry and small antiques, as well as medications and medical papers. Remember: if it's irreplaceable, take it with you in the car
8. See if your bank has a branch where you are moving. If not, consider switching banks now.
9. A month ahead of time, start using up all of your "freezer" and pantry items. Give any unused and unopened items to neighbors or a local food pantry.
10. Pack a box of items you will need immediately and ask the movers to pack it so that it will be the first box off the truck. Items may include: toilet paper, telephone, screwdriver, pliers, hammer, can opener, flash light, paper towels, paper plates and cups, hand soap.
11. Gather information you will need when you arrive at your new home...info your new doctors will need (including your new veterinarian!) or email/phone numbers/forms you will need to transfer this information... info your new schools will need.
12. Lists are your friends. Having a list ahead of time of to-dos, will help you get your thoughts on paper, and let you add to it as you go! These will help you get started. You can also find more complete checklists with more moving tips at movingtips.org and upack.com, or simply google moving lists and look under images...there are many, so you can find the right fit!